Who is a Citizen Developer?
A Citizen Developer refers to a user who creates new business applications for other’s consumption through development and runtime environments sanctioned by corporate IT. They are non-professional developers. Earlier, end-user application development was limited to single-user or workgroup solutions using tools like Microsoft Access and Excel. Today, end-users are free to build departmental, enterprise, and public applications using shared services, cloud computing services, and fourth-generation language (4GL) – style development platforms. A citizen developer can operate on many different platforms that enable them to create successful software, but the major characteristic of a citizen developer is that they create software packaged for enterprise businesses.
Business Benefits of a Citizen Developer
- Minimizes your IT department’s burden
- Increases business agility
- Engages your workforce and makes it more productive
- Helps to improve cost savings for the organization
- Empowers employees to solve internal and external business problems
- Drives digital transformation more effectively